Ames Iron Works
Overview of Company
In 1833, Ames Iron Works opened in what is now known as Amesville (Falls Village Connecticut). Ames Iron Works manufactured wheels and axles for locomotives, steamboat shafts, anchors, cannons and cannon balls for the Civil War. By 1855 the Ames Family expanded to Oswego New York, having purchased an iron works founded in 1853 by Talcott & Underhill. It is in Oswego, where Ames family continued the manufacturing of Boilers and Steam Engines.
Oswald Supply casts Ames Iron Works handhole plates from original patterns. Many Ames Iron Works Boilers and Steam Engines were furnished with Elliptical Handhole Plates made of cast iron. Plates come curved and flat. Curves are based on the Inside Dimensions of the Boilers Shell.